St John at Hampstead

The history of this church dates back to the dedication of St. John the Evangelist. The previous church was outgrown as the population increased. The area became known as a sort of out of town health resort where it became an attraction to many. As time progressed the small churches were replaced with new one in order to accommodate the growing number of churchgoers . Finally in 1912 St. John of Hamstead a morning chapel was added to the church and it underwent several other improvements. In 1958 the interior of the church was considered to be too dark and held too much of a Victorian era to it. In order to correct this the Victorian aspects of the interior of the building were eliminated. It was restored back to a whitewash scheme that was light in nature.

This church has become well recognized for its music. It has been recognized for this on a national as well as an international level. It has both a junior choir as well as a professional choir. The Church is well known for its concerts that it holds and are recognized as being high profile.

Lending to its reputation for music is the current organ that goes all the way back to 1884 although it has been restored and rebuilt

Although the church is recognized as being completed in 1747 it only reached its designation status as Grade one in 1950. The architects of this church are comprised of

  • John Sanderson
  • Temple Moore
  • F.P. Cockerell
  • Henry Flitcroft
  • Robert Hesketh

The style of the St. John at Hampstead is considered to be classical. The church as many do that existed in the original region of Middlesex, it has its own churchyard. Many notable individuals have been laid to rest here that includes, Walter Besant, John Harrison and Hugh Gaitskell.